Sunday, June 5, 2011

New York City and Reproduction Fabric

Marcus Fabrics was founded 100 years ago, on Franklin Street in downtown New York. In 1987, in collaboration with Judie Rothermel, they became the first fabric company to create reproduction fabrics for quilters. Judie's name is printed on the selvedge of many fabrics in my stash. 

Just across the river, in Jersey City, Baum Textile's division, Windham Fabric division has also been producing lovely reproductions of historic fabrics.


I love my hometown but I have to tell you if you are looking for reproduction fabrics, New York City isn't the place to find them.  So, I buy them at quilt shows, when I travel, and I order them online. 


I love Barbara Brackman's collections best.

 Brooklyn Botanic Garden  2003
My Beautiful New York was made after 9-11 using Barbara Brackman's collection, Remember the Ladies. The quilt was made in tribute to the inner resilience, spirit and strength of the people of New York City.


William Morris Stars 2010
lately I've been sewing with the William Morris reproductions Barbara has produced for Moda. These prints are composed of densely layered designs, drawn from nature. Birds, flowers, and fruit are intertwined and rendered in soft vegetal colors and rich indigo. 






When I sew with reproduction fabrics, I feel a connection with the past. Participating in the Civil War Quilts Block of the Week this year has given me an even stronger sense of continuity, as I experience something akin to what quilters must have felt as they followed the weekly newspaper columns that provided patterns and advice.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the connection . . . for me there's a sense of belonging - to a stitching sisterhood that transcends generations of women who've gone before us - a kinship across unknown miles and time. And a feeling that, for a little while at least, I've stepped back to something simpler and gentler than the hustle and bustle of everyday.

    ReplyDelete