Wednesday, October 26, 2011

After the Equinox - Taking Stock

I've put the garden to bed, organized my files in order to make the move from pc to mac, and packed up  projects for the upcoming quilting retreat.   It's autumn and time to take stock of my projects and maybe even set some goals for the season.  But first I wanted to show you the laptop case I made last week.


I used Elizabeth's pattern at Sew, Mama, Sew! for a Simple Laptop Sleeve and changed the orientation so that it opened like a letter envelope.  My laptop measures 9 x 13 x 3/4" so I cut the main panel pieces 10 3/4 x 14 1/2" and the flap panels  7 x 14".  If you decide to make one and the fabric you are using for the lining is directional like mine, don't sew it on upside down like I did here.
Don't you adore the lining fabric? It is  French General - Le Petite Ecole 

The main fabric is fab too - it is Kokka - Far Far Away - Three Flowers
The "clutch" fits folders 
or a book
    but is  for my mac.  Wouldn't it make a great gift for someone you love?






The Projects
I am up to date with the Free Motion Friday group at fluffysheepquilting.blogspot.com  as I got ahead of the others when I posted Week 3 - Slate Tiles too early.  One of the highlights of that blog post was getting a comment from Leah Day of The Free Motion Quilting Project.
She thought I was pretty funny when I replied that it felt like getting mail from a celebrity.
This week's lesson is Bright Star. It looks challenging. I'm sure all those straight lines are going to be hard to control.  Practicing FMQing might be the perfect thing to get my juices going when I arrive at retreat on Thursday, so a big quilt sandwich is going in my suitcase.


I'm also putting in my Joseph's Coat blocks. Alas, there are only 12 of these and they are not even completely finished.
I'm dying to see how they will look sewn together using Kellie at Don't Look Now! 's directions.  The  petals were appliquéd onto Kaffe Fassett's shot cotton.  It is woven with different color warp and weft threads so it has to be cut as if it is a directional fabric.  I love it because it has depth and luster.
they'll go together this way


This year's big quilting commitment was sewing along with Barbara Brackman's Civil War Quilt Block of the Week.  I was steadfast groupie, and didn't fall behind until August. I'm caught up now and all the CWQ BOWs are in my suitcase.  The center medallion is set and can't wait to put it on the design wall with the other 39 blocks. Something tells me they are going to get a lot of attention. 


It will be so much fun to see which are people's favorite blocks.  Which one is yours?



Even though I think I've taken this on every retreat, I think I am going to leave it home this time.   I've promised to show it at our Guild Show this spring and I am finally in the home stretch. I think I'll let it be until winter.   It'll be the perfect project for long chilly nights. 









No comments:

Post a Comment