Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Another Garden

In 2003, the Quilters' Guild of Brooklyn celebrated its 10th year. One of our members coordinated a group quilt to be raffled called "The Sum of Its Parts". She gave out fabric in assorted sizes for the block center to members to sew.  After sewing one, I couldn't stop.
Back then I was new to quilting and didn't have a stash.  But I had a gorgeous floral fabric printed with a variety of flowers in different sizes.  I fussy cut daisies and zinnias, in hothouse colors,  for the center squares and randomly cut the strips to compliment each flower.  This gave the blocks a scrappy, but coordinated look.  I like how the different sized strips and centers make the quilt bounce. I think it has a sixties vintage that is still totally fresh and modern. I sent it out to be quilted because I wanted my niece, Ana to be able to bounce on it too.

My sister's child was named for our grandmother.  She grew roses and perennials in our backyard garden. I still remember the botanical  names of the plants she grew.

Ana's Mod Garden -
Even though this was made in 2002 it still looks fresh and modern! 

No comments:

Post a Comment