Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Autumn

Autumn 2007
26 1/2" x 20 1/2"


I took a workshop at the Vermont Quilt Festival in 2007 with Nora  McMeeking The class was called Pieceful Leaves. She'd learned from Ruth McDowell to place seams where they were convenient to sew.

Choosing the fabrics for the leaves was challenging.  I wanted them to shine like wet leaves on a pavement.  I gathered fallen leaves from the park and traced them onto golden threads quilting paper. After machine quilting, the paper tears easily away.  After I quilted it I was reminded of the ghostly imprints of leaves that I see on the pavement sometimes after it rains.

The quilt, Autumn, was shown at Prospect Park's Annual Quilt Show , "Small Quilts, Big Ideas" in 2008 at the Lefferts Historic House and Audubon Center at the Boathouse.


I'd nearly forgotten how much fun our gang of four had on this trip. VQF 2011 is scheduled for June 24 - 26 this year. It might be time to plan another quilting vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment