Monday, January 30, 2012

Problem Solving

Some of you know that I've been working on my bird quilt for a decade.  Last weekend I finished sewing on the binding and even though I'll add more embroidery and quilting, I wanted to take a few photos.  That's when I discovered the stains on the background fabric behind the Black- throated Blue Warbler.

I tried to wash them out but they resisted my best efforts.  I auditioned some strategically placed leaves but I don't believe in cover-ups.  
Desperate, I took drastic measures.
I unpicked the appliqué, sashing
and quilting stitches.
The stains were very apparent on the reverse,
so I cut them out, nice and neatly,
re-pieced the background,
added a branch and put it all back together.
Whew.





3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is impressive. You are very brave - the block looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my hero! Did you applique the new piece on, or did you stitch the new piece in? But after all the work and love you have put into that quilt, I am not surprised. (I hope something like this doesn't await me at the end of Georgia's quilt....in a few years....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH! I hate when that happens......any idea what it was?
    Okay maybe that is a sign to get this baby done!
    It looks lovely:0).

    happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete