Fifty-nine blocks and room for only fifty-one. No two the same. The center thirteen already sewn into place. I figured it would take the better part of a morning to arrange them to my satisfaction. Ha. Morning became afternoon; I took a break. I returned to the design wall after dinner and finally, about midnight I said to myself, enough is enough. You'll see more clearly in the light of day.
That's when I wished for a visit from the quilter's elves. These crafty creatures would sneak into my sewing room and immediately identify the offending blocks, eliminate them and rearrange the others so that each block was exactly where it belonged. But alas, when I checked in the morning, the only blocks that had moved were those that drooped where the painter's tape failed ( my design wall isn't quite wide enough). So it was back to work and I am not telling how much longer it took until I was really and truly satisfied.
|the blocks that didn't make the final cut|
|my favorite quilting tool is the tweezer I use to remove stray thread|
|Just Right - My Civil War Top 64.5" by 82"|
I needed coping stripes around the center medallion in order to make the border blocks fit, but when I got ready to sew the blocks to the panel I found I was off 5/8ths of an inch. I didn't have anymore of the beige background fabric, so I couldn't re-make the strips. Then I realized I could trim and resew the sashing in strategic spots to make it work. Bet you can't tell where!
Spending a year making this quilt with the Barbara Brackman Civil War Quilt circle of friends from all over the world was a once in a lifetime experience. The woman I plan to have custom quilt it has a seven month wait so it will be a while until my top is officially a quilt. I think it will be worth the wait. Participating in this group for a year taught me how quickly time can fly.